The moments after a car accident are critical for many reasons. However, it’s also a time filled with many emotions that can cloud your judgment and cause you to miss significant details that could help if you decide to file a personal injury claim. That’s why it’s important to know what you should do in the aftermath of an accident so that you can be prepared during that time of stress.
Car accidents are some of the most devastating events in terms of negative impacts to you and your family. Not only may your vehicle be damaged and require significant repair, you may suffer serious personal injury that causes you great pain and suffering as well as can saddle you with a tremendous amount of medical and rehabilitation bills.
Our experienced car accident attorneys at the Kelleher Firm understand how traumatic an accident can be on your well-being and want you to know that if the accident was caused by the negligence of another driver, you have the right to file a personal injury claim to collect compensation for your injuries. Because the moments after an auto accident can dramatically help your case, we’ve compiled a list of important steps you should take in the immediate aftermath of an accident.
- Get medical attention: If you or your passengers are seriously injured in any way during the accident it’s vital that you get checked by and follow all instructions of emergency personnel who respond to the scene. We also recommend you have a medical evaluation at the hospital or your primary physician right away as some injuries may not show symptoms right away and having an official medical report will significantly help your personal injury claim.
- Exchange information: Calmly and politely exchange information with the other driver including name, phone number, license plate number, and insurance information. It’s important that you do not admit any fault or apologize when talking with the other driver.
- Take photographs: Using your smartphone, take as many pictures of the accident scene as possible. This should include photos of the position of each car and the damage to each, the environment around the accident, the road conditions, any injuries suffered by you or your passengers. These photos can help our lawyers in your case.
- Collect witness information: If there are witnesses to the accident, collect their personal and contact information.
- Write down details of the accident: While the accident is still fresh in your mind, write a detailed account of everything leading up to, during, and after the accident that you remember. Write down any testimony from witnesses to the accident as well.
- Request documentation: It’s important to collect any official reports from the police and medical professionals relating to your accident. These reports can be vital in proving your injuries and the accident was the fault of the negligent driver.
- Contact our lawyers: Our lawyers have several decades of combined experience and are here to help you navigate this difficult time. We use our experience, knowledge, and skills to help you obtain the justice and compensation you deserve after an accident.
If you find that you’re unable to do any of the above because of injuries you’ve suffered, seek medical attention immediately and get a person you trust to gather the information and take photos for you. This information can help your case and aid in your pursuit of compensation so that you can get the help you need.
Please contact the car accident attorneys at the Kelleher Firm today at 833-546-3675 for your free case evaluation. We proudly provide services to those who live in Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, and other nearby areas of Southwest Florida.