Injured While on Vacation? We’ll Help You File a Claim

Personal Injury & Car Accident Attorneys Serving Fort Myers and Naples, Florida, as well as Atlanta, Georgia

Posted: November 21, 2018

Ft. Myers lawyer helps client injured while on vacationThanksgiving is the most traveled holiday of the year. An estimated 51 million people will travel this year, and around 90 percent will do so by motor vehicle, which means you’re sharing the road with 45.5 million travelers. More cars on the roads mean you’re more likely to be in an auto accident.

Many tourists come to Fort Myers to enjoy the beautiful beaches and warm weather, making our streets busier than ever. Family members visiting Florida residents also increase traffic flow. The claims process becomes especially complicated when one or more parties live in another state. Whether you’re driving a rental car or your personal vehicle, there are several steps you need to follow for of out-of-state auto accidents and vacation injuries, including:

  1. Call the Police to File a Report: Regardless of the severity of the car accident, you’ll need to call 911 and wait for the police to arrive and file a report.
  2. Exchange Driver Information: While you wait for the police officer to arrive, collect information from the other driver(s) involved including name, phone number, vehicle make and model, VIN, and insurance policy.
  3. Follow the Instructions of the Police or EMTs: The police and/or emergency personnel will likely give you directions on how to proceed such as moving one or more cars further away from traffic while waiting for a tow truck.
  4. Immediate Medical Attention: Depending on the severity of your injuries or the other driver’s injuries, you may need to skip steps two and three and call 911 for emergency medical help. Either way, don’t wait until you’re back in your home state to seek help from a doctor and don’t travel until you’re medically cleared to leave. Follow the doctor’s instructions for recovery and follow up with your primary doctor.
  5. Collect Medical Documents: Request your medical records during your visit from a doctor or nurse, so you have the necessary documentation to file your claim after your vacation.
  6. Report the Car Accident to Your Insurance Company: You might be able to save this step for when you’re at home, but it’s important to let your insurance provider know as soon as possible about the car accident. Don’t give an oral or written statement until you’ve met with a personal injury lawyer to ensure you receive maximum compensation for injuries and property damage.

 Contact a Local Ft Myers Injury Lawyer

Auto accident claims involving vacation injuries take the experience of a local attorney, especially if they involve catastrophic injuries such as a brain, neck, or spine injury. Our Naples, Fort Myers, and Atlanta, Georgia attorneys have helped many clients who were injured while on vacation. Most personal injury cases must be filed in the state where the accident occurred, which is why Kelleher Law is prepared to help.

If you or a loved one has been injured on vacation in the Ft Myers area, please contact Kelleher Law today at (833) 546-3675 for a FREE case evaluation. “Jim for Justice” serves clients in  Cape Coral, Naples, Fort Myers, and surrounding areas of Florida, as well as in the Atlanta, Georgia area.